Jan 25, 2012

Car Seat Safety


Did you know there's a proper and improper way to safely secure your baby in her car seat? Both my boys are too old for car seats (making it quite nice now!) but I remember those days well!

My husband would literally lean his body into the car seat to make sure it was snug. Then came time to actually get them into the seats themselves. And that in and of itself was quite a chore! The fastener had to be in just the right position and we'd always make sure that the straps weren't loose. If we could stick two fingers underneath each strap, we'd re-adjust until it was snug. It's a tricky game. Being too tight on your child will cause the straps to cut into her and leave red marks and that's not at all what you want. So doing the pinch test, as depicted above, is a great way to determine if her strap is too loose.

It seemed like such a tedious ritual every time we chose to leave the house with our kiddo's but I'm so glad that my husband and I had the foresight to keep our boys safe! It doesn't take a lot for a small child to get injured even in the smallest of car accidents.